Monday, June 11, 2012

Youth Media - Our True Identity

President Uchtdorf has a way with words.  I find so many of his talks to be poetic and powerful, and they almost always hit a chord with me - something I need to hear right then, in that moment!  After his (now infamous) Forget-Me-Not talk, I heard similar comments from many of the women and young women I know and I realized I am not alone.

Today I picked an older video, but one of my favorites.  The words are taken from President Uchtdorf at a CES Fireside in November of 2009 and the video is called "Our True Identity".


So what do you think?  What do you like/dislike about the video?  I like it because it is reassuring and confidence-building.  Most of us have heard the story of the ugly duckling before, but I like how President Uchtdorf talks about how turning into a swan has to do with our understanding of who we really are.  It's not necessarily that one day (in this life, at least) we will be as physically beautiful as we'd like to be, but that we will see ourselves as God sees us.  That with that knowledge, when we look at our reflections, we can see past imperfections and doubts and see our potential.  I liked the different cameos with the youth because I felt like they were pretty real.  Our young women, especially, go day after day with the possibility of feeling like the ugly duckling or being told they are an ugly duckling.  And we as women struggle with this probably almost as often!  President Uchtdorf's words are a great reminder of the power we can have by looking at ourselves the way our loving Father in Heaven looks at us.

If I could add anything to the video, it might be some little scene with multiple youth together, showing somehow that once we understand our divine reflection, we need to recognize and remember the divine reflection of all of Heavenly Father's children.

What do you think?  Love this video, and it would be a great one to show young women!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to comment anonymously, please comment with a made-up name.