[Note: I also posted a later post commenting on my notes, rather than simply copying over my notes. I focused on just a few points from the training: the temple, virtue, personal progress, and family history. The later post can be found here: http://beginningsnew.blogspot.com/2012/03/further-thoughts-on-temple-virtue.html]
Also, she let us know in the meeting that they have spent the last 4 years working on a new teaching curriculum, and she hopes it will be out and ready within the next year or so. She was very excited to share with us that it's not going to be lecture style with set suggested outlines, it will be focused on teacher and student studying and learning the scriptures together! A great piece of news for those of us here who have been trying to get that idea out as much as we can already. So you can imagine that she was very pleased to hear about the existence of our blog (which is quite unusual!) and promised to look us up. I was thrilled! So Sis. Dalton if you're reading this, hi! Welcome! Feel free to comment and let us know you're here! :)
So stay tuned for more info from Sis. Dalton's talk! And, stay tuned on the blog in general for aftershocks from her meeting. For example, I recruited a media reviewer because of some of the things she taught us.
So, without further ado, my notes from Sis. Dalton:
Teach the YW so well that you would trust them to teach your own kids someday.
What is the vision for the work we do in the YW? One word: TEMPLE.
- Everything leads to the Lord and His Holy House. This was an official change in the handbook. The official vision of the YW program is to lead to the Temple.
- Being WORTHY is the key to getting there. This is why we added the value of VIRTUE.
- Why are we losing many YW? For many, it is because they made one mistake. But that one mistake gnawed at them, Satan told them they didn't belong at church, at mutual, and soon they believed Satan was right: they were bad, they weren't really the sort of person who could live righteously, even though they wanted to. One girl told Sis. Dalton Satan would tell her "You're bad. Why pray? He's not going to hear you." They don't understand they can repent.
- Tell your leaders: Help YW understand they can change! Repent. Come back. They are not bad.
- This is why we've called for a RETURN to Virtue. We can all return. We all repent. All of us.
- The Book of Mormon, all through it, says to say nothing but repentance unto this generation.
- Teach repentance.
- Teach the atonement
- Teach the scriptures. In the scriptures he calls for his CHOSEN ones to return to Him, over and over again. You are not "bad." He is calling to you. Return!
Announcements, especially about Online stuff:
- We're working on many tools on the internet. It's a narrow funnel to get things approved so we're waiting a lot, but it's coming a little at a time.
- But remember your greatest help will come from up, from God, straight to you.
- Leadership Training Library is online, lots of help
- Please email them. The YW general office email is online. Please send feedback. You can put her name on it if you want and she'll read them.
Online Personal Progress: still revising. Added a "special needs" section with videos to watch instead of reading, etc. Go check it out.
- And all of you leaders can get Personal Progress too.
- Don't ask the YW to do it unless you are willing to do it. :)
- But with all the work we do, we should already have it! Cleaning up your home? That's a 10 hour project! Some YW will tell her they are too busy doing good things already. She smiles and says that's the whole point - doing good things. You should already have your medalion then!
- And do it again! You can get many medalions and many honor bees.
- The YW will watch you: Are you the real deal?
- And "spiff it up"! Wear it on a long chain, short chain, bracelet, whatever you want. Sis. Dalton hopes to have a whole bracelet full of honor bees before she gets released someday.
- The RUBY, do you know what it stands for? Do your YW know what it stands for?
- A virtuous woman.. more precious than rubies. Teach your YW "Don't let anyone treat you as not precious and virtuous."
For Strength of Youth media is online
- This is also refocused on becoming worthy to go to the temple.
- Try it: go through it and circle all the times these words show up: "Holy Ghost"/"Spirit", "worthy" and "temple"
- Have your youth try it. This is the focus of everything we do.
- new videos at least monthly
- we know there have been problems downloading, and it's been improved.
- BTW, YW office has a policy to not release anything until it's in at least 3 languages. Working fast to get things in as many languages as possible
Church News - YW general presidency has a monthly article in the Church News.
- Great archive of these articles, great for training etc. Go check them out.
More on Personal Progress
- Why does Personal Progress help us get to the temple? In addition to worthiness, it sets a pattern.
- Make commitments, keep commitments. Pattern to make and keep covenants.
- Private religious behavior - that's what makes the difference.
- "Conversion is what you do about what you know and believe" (from a conversation with Pres. Erying)
Remember that talk by Elder Bednar?
- Essentially turned the key to the youth to do Family History (Karen's thought: I love that image of "turning the key" because it sounds like Joseph turning the key to the RS to have revelation for their own good works in their own organization.)
- Family History ALSO focuses the YW on the temple!
- It will fortify them. Get them in the temple doing baptisms.
- BTW: Sis. Dalton gets sent videos from all over the world, all the good things going on. In fact she says every night she sits in her bed with her laptop and watches them, it's her "bedtime reading." And she just loves them and just bawls, she said. :) She showed us one on family history, and several youth told us their experiences (it was very real, down to earth, honest. Really liked that video. Not up on the media site yet though.)
Look for Promises in Elder Bednar's talk:
- -Promises of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob planted in hearts. (If you're not sure what those promises are, then she suggests a personal study. She says she's still studying that herself! Wonderful, deep, real topic)
- -Deep and Abiding faith
- -Protection from Satan! What a great promise!
This is not fluff. This is not to entertain.
See how this (family history was her specific example) resonates with their souls?
They'll come to mutual etc.
When you hear a prophet speak, you move.
More on teaching:
- When you express gratitude, the Spirit comes.
- Don't drown out the Spirit for youth.
- That's one reason camp goes so well - they are still
- Nephi says in 2 Ne 32: Feast upon words...
- Notice this: Scriptures tell you what to do. Then he says to ask to understand. Holy Ghost will show you.
- Scriptures and Holy Ghost
Help youth understand the Beauty that comes from having the Holy Ghost
- You will have a light.
- And light cleaveth to light
- Don't just compliment on outward appearance. That's easier - easy to say you like their headband, etc., and that's fine, but it will reinforce that beauty is outward.
- Compliment the beauty you see in their souls. The Spirit will help you see it and know what to say.
- Let's be 100%. We all chose to come here 100%. "You're not 50% kind of people"
- Be exact in obeying the For the Strength of Youth standards. You leaders, too.
- Remember the serpent in the old testament. It was simple, seemed silly.
- So, the 100% club: Be 100% every day in these 4 things:
- 1. Pray
- 2. Read scriptures (even 5 minutes!)
- 3. Smile (her YW board said, "Sis Dalton, we can't say that. That's not doctrine!" She said to them, "Oh yes it is doctrine! The scriptures say to be of good cheer and that's how we're going to show it!")
- 4. Obey (especially the standards)
- Start with one thing to be 100% on and then add to it. It's like cleaning a house. She said she remembers when she had 6 kids and her husband was called as a bishop or something and it was just chaos! She picked one drawer - her pencil and paper drawer - and made it just perfect. Then she could say I'm 100% in that one thing. Then she added more and more things to be 100% in.
- She says she's got a little sign now for people around the world - if you are in the 100% club, give a 2 thumbs-up. Just low down, not flashy. She says you won't believe the cities and airports she's in and someone will look at her, smile, and give her two thumbs up. Just low-down, not obvious to anyone else, but deliberately looking at her and with a smile on her face and in her eyes. :)
- Doing things 100%, we will be "more Fit for the Kingdom" (Karen's thoughts: and then for doing the work of the kingdom!)
- This is our "spiritual fitness" to climb to the "mountain of the Lord's House" to get the youth, and us, to the temple.
Question and Answer time:
- Before she took questions, she explained some of the things they've said or learned doing Q&A at the open houses in SLC around conference time.
- Sis. Beck would often say, "You've have scriptures and you have knees." :)
- "Most revelation comes in response to a question."
- Personal Progress: we love having moms do it too. Pairing up Moms and YW binds important relationships. Or, there are other options. We know some don't have moms who will do this. She can work with any woman in the ward.
- "We shouldn't lose anyone when we have the Relief Society" to help us.
Great, great meeting! I loved meeting Sis. Dalton. She is a happy, down-to-earth, open, and committed woman. She is well aware of things in the church (yes, even the bloggernacle). And, she is pleased with our faith, our commitment, and our work on this blog. So, let's keep it up! And see what more we can do to be Fit for the Kingdom, and to share that vision with others!