Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Crowning the Mia Maids


When I was only responsible for the laurels, I came up with a little something to make for them to welcome advancing Mia Maids into our class. Now that I'm responsible for everyone, I had to come up with something to welcome advancing Beehives into the Mia Maid class, and primary girls into the Beehive class.

Here's part 2 of this series. Crowning the Mia Maids.

Flower Headband
The new symbol for the Mia Maid class is a rose, so this was actually an easy one. I already designed a fabric flower tutorial that's been pretty popular across the web, so then it's just a matter of hot gluing that flower onto a headband.

Here's how you make the flower:
Cut four or five flower shapes out of an organza. I'm sure mine was some poly blend, since I got it all at JoAnns. You can see from this picture that I'm being generous by calling this a "flower shape" I could really just say cut four or five little blobby guys that have vague suggestions of petals. If you really have a phobia about freehand cutting, you could also cut a series of different sized circles. They'll still look like a rose, just a different variety.
Organza Flower Tutorial

Hold each petal over a lit candle. You don't want to touch the flame, just let that hot air kiss the fabric. This takes a little bit of practice, but don't worry about any messups, this is one project where sloppiness is only in your favor. The worst thing that could happen is that you're petal looks extra curly and crunchy. Once you layer these, you'll be amazed at how great it looks.
Organza Flower Tutorial

Layer the petals together. I usually put the extra crispy ones on top and the floppier ones on the bottom to really emphasize the curling in of those petals. Arrange them so the petals aren't stacked neatly on top of each other, but kind of go all over the place.
Organza Flower Tutorial

Use a thread that matches the organza, and come up from the back of all but one layer. This way your knot will be hidden by the bottom most petal. Sew on a scattering of beads, making some loops of five or more beads to look like little stamens. When you're finished, go back down through all but the last layer to tie off your thread.
Organza Flower Tutorial

Then just hot glue your flower to a headband. I found that the best spot to do it is at the widest point of the curve of the headband makes. This will make it right above the ear, which looks womanly and fashionable, instead of on the top of the head which looks little girly and cute.

Next up....Beehives!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this-- and know my girls will too. Thanks for giving me something they'll actually love for Valentine's Day this weekend-- and then for each upcoming MiaMaid too!

    Love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. headbands like this are very trendy in our ward, I've noticed - I think Mia Maids will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this. is. adorable.

    I might have to make one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see the Beehives.

    ReplyDelete

If you wish to comment anonymously, please comment with a made-up name.